Keep on keepin' on...

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow!' (M. Radmacher)

April 7, 2013

Fool proof

April fools.... fools rush in...  why do fools fall in love... fool me once, shame on you...  fools gold...  I'm just a fool, a fool in love... with... you...

So many fool examples. So many foolish things. Yet I had the hardest time coming up with a photo for this week's theme of fool. Some folks in the group were doing forced perspective, optical illusion type photos. They were super fun! So I thought I'd try that out, ahem  without having any idea what I was doing, of course. Fortunately, I had a dedicated partner...  poor guy!


When nothing was working out, Ar decided he should maybe try to push over a tree. Hmm, that wasn't quite working either.


I thought about just taking a picture of myself, because we probably looked pretty foolish out there trying to get a fool picture.... but it was fun. It also gave me a new appreciation for something that I'd previously thought couldn't possibly be that difficult to accomplish.

So, back to the drawing board. I just couldn't think of anything to do, so I did what I do... consulted Merriam-Webster:

Definition of FOOL
1: a person lacking in judgment or prudence
2a: a retainer formerly kept in great households to provide casual entertainment and commonly dressed in motley with cap, bells, and bauble
2b: one who is victimized or made to appear foolish : dupe
3a: a harmlessly deranged person or one lacking in common powers of understanding
3b: one with a marked propensity or fondness for something<a dancing fool> <a fool for candy>
4: a cold dessert of pureed fruit mixed with whipped cream or custard

Ahhh, good ole number four!!  I do love words, I do love desserts, and I do love trying new recipes. Also, I'd like to improve my food photography, so this was a win-win-win-win.

I'd never even heard of fool as a dessert before, but as I Googled fool recipes, many came up. They sure sounded lovely! Seems it's originally an English dessert made with gooseberries, but you can really use any crushed fruit.

I decided to use mango with blackberries and coconut - went for a Caribbean flare. So off to the grocery store I went.


I was so excited to get started on it, that our actual dinner had to wait.


I don't often pull out our beautiful crystal champagne glasses, but this seemed a good occasion. Ar was pretty wowed by the presentation - I thought it wasn't too shabby either.

Caribbean Mango Fool
It may not be traditional, but I felt I'd have to be a fool to not add chocolate shavings to the top.


It sure was hard to let this set till after dinner...

Week 14 of Photo 52: Fool
Okay, okay... did you already notice it - the pink? I know some of you will have. It's especially noticeable in this last picture, which was my official submission. Sigh. I have to try to remember that my subjects can pick up the surrounding color, even though I don't see it at the time. I will try to remember that, though pretty in our dining area, our red tablecloth can leave an unintended pink tinge. Hopefully by writing it here, it will reinforce it in my mind. I still liked this photo best of all though, so i stuck with it. After all, this is a fun and learning adventure for me.

In any case, I was pleased with the outcome. After all, I achieved a photo of fool, though not using the most common of the definitions, and I got to try a new recipe.... and, it was delicious!!  Ar said that after this, he'll be my Caribbean fool forever. He's such a cutie!! Anyhow, you should try a fool, if you haven't yet - whatever fruit you like, it'll work. Very, very tasty - and would make a lovely summer dessert.

Now I can move on to... uh-oh, self portrait.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmmmm....Your selected photo belongs in a food mag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Thanks, friend!! It was fun to make it and try to make it beautiful. Usually, I focus more on the yumminess - it was fun to look at both, this time. Mmmm

      Delete