Keep on keepin' on...

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow!' (M. Radmacher)

May 25, 2013

Culture

Week 20 of Photo 52: Culture 
The theme for week 20 of Photo 52 was culture, for which I conveniently happened to be on Utila. I thought it would be interesting to ask Ar's ma (78 years old) and his uncle (67 years old), who both lived there till their 20s/early 30s, how they would define the culture of Utila - now or then.  Well, I sure got some interesting stories about how Utila once was, and what they think of the changes that are happening. 

The culture has - and continues to -  change emphatically, particularly as more cultures have moved onto the little island. It's hard in a lot of ways. I suppose we don't notice changes as much when they happen slowly, when you're there every day. When you go away for some years and come back, the change seems so drastic - even to me, and I only knew it from Ar's stories. I know it makes Ar and Ma a little sad, but I also know this is the way of life. Wouldn't it be lovely if we could just go back in time?  I'd love to visit the little boy who became the man I love so much, and to see the land he loves so much - the way he once saw it.

Well, I chose the photo above for week 20 because of how it resonated with Ar. Growing up in Utila, this was a very common sight and experience - it's less so, these days - it's a good picture of the culture that shaped him. Besides, no way could I resist a solitary fisherman in a rustic boat along a rustic shore.




These are three little boys, who grew up right there on Utila... playing right there on this Iron Shore. 

One of them never left Utila, one followed love to Sweden as a young man, and one came to the US at 13, studied and worked his behind off and... just so happens to live in my apartment. Indeed, these three little boys turned into three very different men, with three very different life experiences - but what a blessing to be able to meet back up together like this, to still fish and play together. No judgment or comparisons, just life. 



This cute little guy is a swamper iguana, which is endemic to Utila. These were abundant when Ar was growing up on Utila - they even hunted them for food. (Delicious, so I've frequently been told!) The iguana lived in the mangrove swamps, but has experienced habitat loss and over-hunting because of the influx of new people moving onto the island. As a result, they were brought to near extinction and are now a critically endangered species. 

The swamper is seen here in the back yard of our family's property. They now largely reside in these rocky areas after being driven out of the swamps. Every time we go back, Ar and ma are just amazed to see them there... they simply don't belong in these rocks: culture change. 



Yet some things don't change with time. You can tell the native islanders by their umbrellas. While I donned a nerdy looking hat and sunscreen, the native islander women stay out of the sun if they can, and use umbrellas when they can't. I think that it's kinda cool - even though they couldn't get me to use one. (Hanging my head in shame. But... I did want to get a little color, at least!) 



Porch-time greetings and frequent impromptu visits haven't changed either. While I, upper midwest girl that I am, am uncomfortable with unscheduled drop-ins, and have a higher value on privacy, I do hope this part of culture never changes on Utila.  



Delicious food can still be found, though changing cultures has definitely impacted the food selections. Don't you just love Ar's hands and poised fork in the shadows in the background??  Poor guy always just wants to eat, but waits patiently while I shoot photos. (This one was Ar's; I got the fish fillet... I'm a wimp, I know.) 



Stories and laughter under the almond tree is something that, thankfully, is not likely to change!



Nor the abundant coconuts.



I sure hope the sea life doesn't change any more than it already has!


Something that always surprise me out there is the more direct approach to life... and death... and everything in between. Things don't seem left unsaid there, for better or worse... people tend to say what they think and don't seem to consider various topics taboo or impolite. It is somewhat refreshing to this generally polite and appropriate (people pleasing?) midwest girl, but sometimes could also feel somewhat harsh to my ears - and, um, yeah - emotionally devastating, at times. 




Another noticeable part of the culture is the integration of the haves and the have-nots: those who made their way and those who have spent a lifetime wandering. 


And then there are those who, like a my Ar, never stop dreaming...



...never stop seeking...



...who learned early on from his ma's example to start by just taking a step, and then another: you've just got to keep going. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure glad you know how to make a book out of this. GORGEOUS post!

    ReplyDelete