Keep on keepin' on...

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow!' (M. Radmacher)

March 23, 2013

Words

Week 10, words.

Ahhh, words - they're all around us!

 They sure can be fun!



And sometimes, profoundly inspirational.



Some words are rather delicious,



while others make us laugh, even if they weren't quite intended to...




or scratch our heads and weep a bit....



Some words sound awfully nice - especially in the midst of a Minnesota winter.



Others words are hidden.



While many others are wonderfully free and available for all to enjoy.  (((Books!!)))

Week 10 of Photo 52, Words

Yes, words can be such a blessing!



Some of my favorite words are full of beautiful truth.

 


So I hang these words in my heart...



and on our walls.



Oh, I do love to fill our home...




with words of love,



because home should be a safe place,




and bring relief when the world seems so harsh and unwelcoming. 



When all around us are sad, sometimes weirdly so, reminders of our deepest longing - of hope unfulfilled.




Words, even the commonest of words, can be unbelievably cruel.



Yeah, they really are all around us - for better or worse. While we often don't have a choice in the words we receive, we do have a choice in the words we put out there. After all, these words we heard in our childhood aren't really true, are they?  


"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

Recent years have shown me that words can be particularly hurtful, when one is already hurting. I'd often have preferred a broken bone - or many - over these last several years. Whether the words are intentionally hurtful, or not, makes little difference to a broken heart. When one is hurt, it's just so easy to hurt and be hurt. 

Sometimes it's words that are never spoken that hurt something fierce... I mean, does anyone actually care at all? Does anyone see? Doesn't it matter that I feel like a dead woman walking?  It's hard though, I know, to find words sometimes. Even I, who highly values the power of words, sometimes hurt so much that I want to withhold the right words - or even choose hurtful ones. Sometimes it's a struggle - and I hate that it is.

If one can find them, if one can get past their own hurts and prejudices and lack of experience, words can be such a soothing balm. Even the smallest and humblest of words, spoken in love and empathy, can bring such comfort. 

There are so very many things we cannot choose, but we can choose our words. I believe this is our choice and our responsibility. Whether we are hurting or not, we can choose to use them to bring tears or laughter, to help or to hinder, to hurt or to heal, to build up or to tear down. This choice really is ours, let's not take it lightly. 

So then, "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer." (Psalm 19:14)

2 comments:

  1. So true, Heather. Your photos captured the words so beautifully--such variety. The thing I find hard about words is just what you said. It can be hard to know whether there are any appropriate words to offer--"Even the smallest and humblest of words, spoken in love and empathy, can bring such comfort." Those are the kind of words that can go so badly wrong with such a tiny brain fart. I live in fear of the brain fart. ;-) Even so, I am often the fool who rushes in where angels fear to tread, for a fairly equal fear of abandoning through silence. I think love covers a multitude of sins in the word category.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tracy - you're so true! It's so very easy for good intentions to go horribly awry. Grace is so necessary on both sides of any conversation!! I don't know if this helps or not w/ brain farts and best intentions, but I think most people aren't looking for answers or explanations from friends - and certainly not from strangers! (IF wise, everyone ALWAYS asks if one has kids or how many kids etc - on the plane, at the beautician - everywhere - and then want to tell you exactly what they think. Anywhere from "try this position" to "You're so lucky" to "God must not want you to be mother..." I've heard it all from strangers and friends alike. :-) ).

      Anyhow, I think generally people just want to know that others care. I always think, when dealing w/ hurting people, that saying something is better than nothing - but that generally less is still better than more. I don't mean that to sound more complicated. I think it's actually much less complicated. It's the, "How are you (really) doing?", "Do you want to talk about it?", "How can I help?", "I love you", "I am so sorry", "Praying for you", "I'm here for you." - "I don't know what to say - but I'm here for you" - and the like, that make me feel better. They don't fix anything, but most of us are not looking for fixing from our loved ones... I'm not. I just want to know they care and that they see me - that they're here. If one thinks they have advice, ask if they want it first. Sometimes, in an effort to find the perfect words, we pressure ourselves too much and lose the basics. In any case - you are right on about love!! :-)

      For what it's worth, you've stepped into my story - and I've always appreciated it!! I know it's not a cheery story, and is probably not always easy to read, but you've chosen to step into it anyhow and leave comments that show me you care.

      Delete