Keep on keepin' on...

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow!' (M. Radmacher)

September 4, 2012

A little good news

In the midst of the latest flurry of newborn announcements and back to school photos, updates, and tears of melancholy - or exuberance over "getting rid of the kids" - both on Facebook and in person, I actually had some good news to distract me today!!

If you recall, I was in a billing pickle with my RE clinic. Quick recap: when our insurance was about to run out, we had to decide whether to proceed with treatment or not. We contacted our clinic and asked if there were any discounts for self-pay. Clinic Gail said that there was a discount for the ultrasounds, of which I've had a plethora. The ultrasounds were the biggest expense, other than the injections. So, since they would be discounted - and since we really, really, really, really hoped it would work the next time (and the next time and the next time and the next... well, you get the point), we decided to proceed.

Well, as it turns out, our insurance ran out sooner than we expected, so the bill was bigger than we planned on. In fact, it was MUCH bigger than anticipated because they did not give the discount, which was 25% off of each ultrasound. The ultrasounds are $542 each. $542 multiplied by a plethora!!! After the shock wore off, we called Billing Laurie and she basically said that Clinic Gail was wrong, so too bad so sad! We each tried to talk to her about this a few times, which was always very frustrating and useless. In fact, she treated us a bit like we were criminals, even though we've paid our bills to them regularly.

Well, I issued a formal complaint about all of this - and good news!! Just today I got a call from the Billing Manager, who told me that I was right-on and that she was adjusting our bill!! The bottom line is that it will shave about $1,700 dollars off our bill. What a relief!!!

Granted, it's still a big bill, but this does make a big difference to us!! Welcome news, indeed!!

The irony of being incredibly happy about saving 25% off of ultrasounds from a lot of failed infertility treatments, on a day when everyone is again celebrating childhood and mommyhood, certainly doesn't escape me... But, I guess I'll take whatever victories I can get.

In other good news, this past weekend a sweet little girl asked me what school my children go to - and I managed to not cry in front of her!! (Insert fist pump here - yes!!!) I also managed to not regale her with tales of infertility, emphasizing that life doesn't go the way you expect it to and so she better just get used to disappointment! Impressed at my self-restraint, aren't you? In all seriousness though, it made me think a thought that no normal person would think: "I sure hope she doesn't grow up to be infertile." What kind of person thinks something like that??? One with experience, that's who. Sigh. She's sweet and innocent and thinks that all women are moms. She probably has the audacity to think that she'll be a mom one day, when she's ready. I really hope she's right.

In related news, I'm trying to get used to the idea that I'm just not ever going to be a mom. To be perfectly honest, it kinda sucks. My latest effort involves attempts to convince myself that I'm just too old for all that jazz, anyhow. I know there are healthier ways to go about this. Some days I can focus on those ways, you know like trusting God and everything, more than other days. It's so up and down. It's just not something that is exactly easy to accept. To be cliche, one day at a time, right.


1 comment:

  1. Good news, indeed! Heather, I am so glad that I get to walk this journey with people like you. I laughed at the fist pump comment...it was definitely a small victory to keep from crying in front of the girl. Last week at church a little boy asked me if I had children. I said, "No", but he asked again, so I replied, "I have a little girl in heaven" (referring to my miscarriage). He then asked, "Will she grow up?" "I hope so," I said. Little ones have such heart-wrenching honesty, don't they? Anyway, I am so glad for the blessings in your life recently-My first reaction: It's about TIME for some of that! ;) Big hugs and lots of love to you.

    ReplyDelete