Keep on keepin' on...

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow!' (M. Radmacher)

September 30, 2012

The one in which you learn how football and air travel relate to IF

I mentioned in my last post that I took a trip for work last week.  I attended a conference, where I gave a presentation, in Memphis, TN.  I was traveling with a colleague, who is one of the MANY new moms in the office.  She also happens to be a Green Bay Packers fan, so she obviously has a streak of awesomeness in her that I can connect with, despite my difficulties with all things baby talk.

Still, I was a bit worried about hanging out with her as I don't know her very well.  Other than work, we only ever talk football, so I didn't know what would happen spending this much time together.  Well, it was fine.  She did talk a fair to middlin' amount about her baby, but it wasn't too bad.  (Or maybe I just handled it better thanks to all the Xanax I had to swallow to manage my air travel... hmm.)

After the conference, as we were waiting at the gate to head back home, she was talking some baby talk -  something about sleeping schedules.  Well, I responded with something to the effect of, "I always thought if I had a baby" blah blah blah, "but it's not very likely that I will, at this point." I surprised myself by saying even that: Xanax must have had me loosened up.  She answered with, "You never know."  Then I really surprised myself,  because I don't talk IF with work people, with "Well, we've been trying for nearly seven years; it doesn't seem in the cards."

Cue the tears.

I really only welled up with tears, though - so it wasn't too bad.  She actually responded pretty nicely, which also surprised me, because - in my vast experience - it's almost never a nice response, which is exactly why I seldom tell anyone anything, anymore...

She said, "Oh, (HJ), I'm so sorry!"  She patted my shoulder, as I tried to not cry, and told me that she has a good friend going through this, so she can understand how incredibly hard it is.

Imagine that?  Instead of not at all helpful advice, simply empathy. 

What can I say, more proof that Green Bay Packers fans are the very best!!!!

Would that I could leave it at that nice, sensitive encounter... but when I was on the plane (my colleague and I were not seated together), my seat mate asked me if I have kids.  Of course - why not?  After all, what else is there to ask the total stranger that will likely be the person you clutch for dear life, as you plummet together to your fiery death??  (Did I mention my intense fear of flying... yeah!)

Anyhow, per standard procedure, I told her I do not have kids - and I left it at that. My hope is always that they will also leave it at that.  She, however, clearly not a Green Bay Packers fan, responded that it is for the better to not (have kids), because kids certainly complicate life and cost a LOT of money.  She has a two and five year old.  Immediately bristling at her response, I informed her (kindly, but emphatically) that being childless is definitely not my choice - that I'd be happy for the complications.

Her response to that, you ask???  Well, how 'bout this: I'll send a delicious chocolate bar to the first person who can correctly guess my seat mate's response, by writing it in the comment section below.

Before I go, I will regale you with one more IF air travel experience.  It's too good a story to not tell you about - best thing is, it's absolutely true.   A few years back, on an airplane bound for Atlanta, another seat mate inquired into my childbearing abilities; I was still an IF rookie back then and didn't know to expect the worst.  Well, I told her her we'd really like to have kids, but that we don't yet... but we're still hoping. Seemed pretty appropriate, nothing too personal, right?  I expected some empathetic well-wishes in return, I suppose.  Instead, she actually told me to try a certain sexual position that would most certainly help.  You read that right, she, a complete stranger, told me about a specific sexual position to try.   But wait, it gets better: this advice came complete with a full body demonstration of said sexual position.  I'm still thanking my lucky stars she at least left her clothes on for the demonstration!!  I really wish I were joking about this encounter.   

Well, don't forget to leave your guess below!

Go Pack Go!!!! 

10 comments:

  1. "You can have mine"? That's the usual stupid drivel you get from the non-Packer fertile-myrtles! Did I win! Glad your friend was so understanding :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, sorry! Such a GREAT guess though, LG!!! After all, I get that response about half the time, and her actual answer the other half of the time... :-)

      Delete
  2. OMG - did she say that you just need to relax, and then it will happen? I will kick her for you.

    -E.C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee!!! A very excellent guess, but not that one this time - but I've certainly heard that one often enough!!! We're hitting all the biggies here!! :-)

      Delete
  3. Did she mention that if it's "meant to be" it will happen. I love the "meant to be" remarks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my... the "meant to be" remarks = UGH!!!!! But nope - not that one either. But if I had a dollar for every time I've heard that one, I'd certainly have no problem paying off our RE bills!!!!

      Delete
  4. "I guess it's not God's will"? That is THE WORST!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not God's will either. Ugh!!! It makes my head want to explode!!! There really are a lot of really awful responses out there, aren't there??? I'm going to have to buy myself a lovely chocolate bar, methinks!!! ;-)

      Delete
  5. Ok...no one guessed it. Will you tell us what it is now??? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee - ok, ok... she jumped straight to the, "Well, why don't you JUST ADOPT?" As always, said w/ a certain impatient or DUH quality to it. UGH!!!! Thank you, perfect stranger, who knows absolutely nothing about me or our situation or our heart, for making such a brilliant suggestion. I never would have thought of that one... adoption! Gee, you've changed my whole life!!! ;-)

      Now you, dear Erin, do actually know my heart on the subject... I think adoption is a beautiful and lovely thing. It's not something you JUST do, though. You have to be there, and then it's a lot of work and money - unless someone knows of a secret baby store they haven't told me about, anyhow...

      End of rant. :-)

      Delete