Keep on keepin' on...

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow!' (M. Radmacher)

February 11, 2013

Brrs and blues

The theme for Week 6 of Photo 52 is brr.  Now, I'm not a fan of brr, rather I'm a flip flop lovin' kinda girl.  But even though still feeling the blues in a big way, I am determined to seek out some beauty in this winter: this physical season of winter, as well as the icy, blizzardy winter of my heart.

Besides, I'll admit that snow is quite lovely.   Ahh, fresh snow - so pure and bright... at least until it gets trampled down and exhaust covered of course.


I truly do appreciate how snowy trees look like frosted arms reaching up to the Heavens.  It always gives even this embattled, warm-weather loving woman's heart a little lift.  


Still, because I tend to see the majority of winter like this....  BLECH!!!


....Ar thought maybe we should go out together to seek some brr photos.  He started my day off very sweetly by surprising me with a little gift of love day brightener.  He knows how very blue I've been.   



We ended up having a nice lunch with his brother first, who was unexpectedly in town for business.  Since we were already at the Mall of America, we considered going to the ice castles - but ended up passing on that... in large part because it seemed a little too costly for what it was. Or are we just cheap?  Hmm.

Well, we are trying to be more frugal - to make sure what we spend our money on is worth it.  I recently read a quote by Dave Ramsey that I'm trying to heed, "Sometimes you have to tell yourself 'no,' so later you can tell yourself 'yes.'" It's not easy, but we are at least questioning our spending more - questioning if something is worth $20 or not. After all, a few $20 really starts to add up. This is why we will not be buying me a new camera, since I don't actually need one. Sigh. Anyhow, such as in dieting, awareness is half the battle. 

Besides, in addition to planning another Honduras visit with Ar's ma this spring - something that is definitely worth it, in every respect - our RE clinic has been harassing us again about our IUI bills - even though we always pay regularly. It's just that we're not paying enough for them.  I can't wait to pay off that expensive and constant reminder of failure and heartache.   

So, anyhow...  we moved on to find free brr.  Besides, I wanted to revisit something I'd seen a few nights earlier when I was at a one-night painting class with a couple of beautiful and lovely girlfriends.  



Now I have absolutely zippo skill in the ways of painting, but it sure was fun! I am, after all, seeking some newness in many different forms - why not try my hand at art?

I wish I hadn't gotten so much blurriness here - I wanted to get a good action shot, but didn't quite get 'er done right. I didn't actually take that many photos, since I was pretty busy painting, but I want to go back for another class sometime, so I'll try to do better.  :-)

Well, here's my finished product.  Not fabulous, but it's the single best painting I've ever created!  My friends did a much better job - it was interesting to see how all of ours turned out differently, though the same painting.



So it was after that painting class that I first saw this super cool (literally) throne of ice.  BRRRRR!!!   But it was too dark - and far too BRRRRRRR - on that night of painting fun to try to photograph it, so Ar and I went there to check it out. I think we made the right choice - I like how this turned out.

Week 6 of Photo 52: Brr

I'm working on trying to compose photos better, in addition to trying to figure out the effect of different aperture and such.  As most of these photos show, I've a long way to go - but it's been nice to finally read up on photography and try to put it into practice.  In any case, I am pretty pleased with my throne photo. 

It's such a pretty little area of St. Paul around there, complete with a fun little candy shop right around the corner.  A happy coincidence!  It would be bordering on sinfulness to not stop in and support our local small business, after all, right? RIGHT?!?!?!?  I said we were being frugal, not insane!!  Mmmm.... ginormous turtle.....  gahhhhh!



Thankfully, the candy shop is safe with good old Lucy standing guard.  



And Snoopy and Woodstock, of course.  
(I really love running into these wonderful characters around town!!)


Some brr and a little sweet to share with my sweetie... a nice day, to be sure!

And then the next day, I finally discovered for myself a new kind of blue... I've recently heard about the blue hour from another lovely and beautiful friend. I ditched out of work a bit early that day, after reaching my capacity for usefulness a little early that day.  By the way, early for me isn't really all that early - as evidenced by the fact that I caught the blue hour as I was driving home.  Normally, this time of year, I just catch the darkness. Well, color me thrilled to have seen it with mine own eyes!!  I was sort of just driving home in robot mode when suddenly the blueness of the evening sky caught me off guard.

Don't judge this picture too harshly... I was driving at the time.  I kept my eyes straight ahead on the road, but snapped out the window, simply aiming upwards. Though I don't proclaim this to be a quality photo, I do like how sort of ghostly it looks. It was the blue I wanted to be sure to capture.   This was around 5:50 pm.



Then, rather than heading home, I started to chase the blues a bit.  Funny, since I'm usually trying to chase them away...  This one was about quarter past 6pm.


I seriously was beyond thrilled to see the blue hour for myself.  I'm sure I've seen it before, but just never paid attention....  So thank you to my friend who brought this to my attention.  It is a lovely time, indeed.  Hopefully I'll eventually learn to photograph it right, but in the meantime, these are proof enough for me that the blues can be beautiful.  

I had to rush home to be sure to introduce Ar to the blues...  this one is off our deck.  He'd never known to notice the blue hour before either, and was duly impressed.  This was about 6:25 pm or so.  Soon after it was just dark. 



I wonder what other lovely things I've been missing for lack of attention?  

3 comments:

  1. Oh my word, HJ! Chasing the blues indeed! But you had me at the candy store--I love how you captured Lucy and Snoopy, with all the swirls of color. We could all use some color about now, right? The photo of canvas and moving brushes is perfect if you ask me, because the canvases are in sharp focus, so the movement is obviously on the part of the artists and not the photographer. Voila!

    And as far as the ice castle--we had a half price groupon, and I got my money's worth, but only because it was dusk and the colors were glowing. Very expensive. Good call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so beautiful, my friend. I am, in all honesty, astounded at what great shots you are getting from your camera and how your skills are growing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful friend. I know it's emotional, but the photos and thought that accompany them are so beautiful! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete